Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Podcasting

I have to admit that podcasting is pretty cool and surprisingly easy. When I was in high school I worked for the school television station and I forgot how intimidating it can be when the recording starts and it's just you and a microphone and silence. The first podcast I created was a primer for my AP students on the class itself. If you would like to listen to it you can find it here: Welcome to AP US History. The URL for my MyPodcast page is: http://mansersapush.mypodcast.com/index.html and you can find my podcast there as well.

I enjoyed looking around and listening to different podcasts, especially at the University of Virginia site because they have podcasts organized by the topic so it's really easy to listen to what you want. As a matter of fact, I'm listening to a podcast while I'm writing this post. For my students, I would have them answer potential essay questions using podcasts. This would force them to organize their answers before they dictated them. The biggest problem I have with my students is getting them to organize their essay answers before they write them. By creating a podcast they would have to organize their answer beforehand, which would hopefully lead to a more coherent and well developed response. This would meet the NETS-S standards of "Technology Operations and Concepts" because my students would have to learn how to podcast before they could do it and also "Creativity and Innovation" because they would be taking what they had learned in class and would be applying it to their podcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment