Thursday, July 16, 2009

RSS Feeds

I had a terrific experience on Bloglines and learned about a bunch of blogs that I didn't even know existed because of their recommendations. Bloglines and Google Reader have made my internet usage experience completely different. All I have to do now is go to two websites and most of my internet viewing is taken care of!

I added CNN.com and the Daily Kos as feeds on this blog and it was incredibly simple. I liked how Blogger gave you the chance to check and make sure that you had entered the correct URL and that these were the sites that you actually want to add.

My school district does not allow students to access blogs in school, but in a perfect world I would add a news sites like CNN.com, FOXnews, and network news sites like ABC and then ask my students to check them on a daily basis and compare the major stories that each site posts. I would then ask my students to judge the political leanings of the sites based on the types of stories that they are highlighting and the content of those stories. This would meet the NETS-S standard of Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making because students would be asked to make decisions about the kinds of internet sites that they should turn to for information.

No comments:

Post a Comment